Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Bright-Eyed, Bushy-Tailed, Wearing Canadian Flag(s)

They’ve arrived. We knew they were coming, but I never thought they would be so easily identifiable. They are the Olympic visitors – people from across Canada, and around the world, I’m sure – who have arrived in the city to partake in the Games and related Olympic festivities.

It is fairly easy to spot a recently arrived Olympic spectator. Simply look for:

1. An abundance of Olympic gear, mostly so far, Canadian Olympic gear, such that the person/people look like their outfit is made up of cutup pieces of a Canadian flag.
2. Red Mittens
3. A look of bright-eyed bushy-tailed excitement (and possibly the slightly unsettled appearance of having no idea where they are going)

For the most part, I love meeting people who are visiting the city and I’m always happy to give directions. The strange thing about these new arrivals is that they project an odd sense of entitlement that I’ve never noticed in tourists before – it is like the City of Vancouver is a theme park to which they have paid admission. They bounce around and yell on the Sky Train, even when there is nothing to yell about (for example, it would be totally appropriate to yell if the Canucks had just scored a goal, then I would understand. But the Canucks have vacated the city due to the Olympics). They also have absolutely no concept of stand right/walk left. It isn’t difficult – if you want to stand on the escalator, you keep to the right, and let all the people who are in a hurry pass by you on the left. Already, I notice that the Sky Trains are getting more crowded and rowdier. I have a feeling that soon I will be a bus user again.

And the Olympics have not even started yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment